These cupcakes are my absolute favorite. I was so close to giving up on finding a cupcake recipe that I really loved with no “if’s”, or “buts”. I’ve tried so many different recipes from different blogs and websites, but none of them met my standards of what a chocolate cupcake should be-they were either too dense, or had too many ingredients and steps…But I am so glad that I gave it another chance and decided to use a recipe from a blog I follow on Instagram Suburbs Mama. So if you are struggling to find a recipe that is super easy and fail-proof, try these and I promise you will not be disappointed. I made these with a different frosting then the original recipe. Here is the Link to the original recipe. The cake in the picture is is the Pistachio-Raspberry Cake, which you can find here.
Ingredients for Cupcake:
1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
½ cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream
Ingredients for Frosting:
1 stick of butter at room temperature (1/2 cup)
16 oz cream cheese room temperature (2 packages)***
4 cups powdered sugar
2-3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a electric stand mixer, gently combine oil, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add in about 1/3 of the cake mix and mix until combined.
- Add Buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Add another third of the cake mix.
- Add sour cream, then final third of cake mix.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾* full and bake for 18-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
How to make Frosting
- Combine 1 stick of butter and 16 oz cream cheese in mixing bowl and mix on medium high for 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Add in 2-3 teaspoons of vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time while the mixer is on low speed. Then increase speed until everything is well combined and smooth.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, pipe the frosting using any tip you prefer.
- Add berries, sprinkles, and any other decorations you desire to personalize the cupcakes.
*Original Recipe has directions to fill cupcakes 3/4, but I filled them just a little over 1/2 of the way which resulted in 2 extra cupcakes.
**If you only have 1 cupcake form like I do, you can make these in 2 batches. Leave the remaining batter on the counter while the first batch is baking. They will still be perfect!
***I use store brand cream cheese which is significantly cheaper than Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Save yourself a few dollars and purchase store brand, I promise it will not affect the taste or texture of the frosting 🙂