Soaked ladyfingers covered with mascarpone custard and whipped cream make this one of my favorite desserts!
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons milk
⅔ cup sugar
2 cups (16 ounces) mascarpone cheese, room temperature
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
20-24 Italian ladyfingers
½ cup brewed strong coffee, chilled
¼ cup Kahlua liqueur
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low so water is simmering but not
2. Whisk 4 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons milk, ⅔ cup sugar in a metal bowl on high speed for about 6 minutes.
3. Place bowl over saucepan with simmering water and cook mixture until it thickens, stirring constantly for 8-
10mintues. Remove from heat and allow yolks to come to room temperature. You can make this process go by
faster by transferring yolks into a different bowl and gently stirring them once in a while.
4. Add 16 ounces of mascarpone cheese to the room temperature yolk mixture and using a spatula, gently fold
contents together until smooth.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk 1 cup heavy cream and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract until thick, about 1-1.5 minutes.
Slowly fold in the whipped cream with mascarpone cheese mixture until incorporated.
6. In a bowl, combine ½ cup chilled coffee and ¼ cup Kahlua liqueur. Soak each ladyfinger in the coffee-liqueur
mixture for about 1 second on each side. Lay them out in an 8×8 dish. After you soak and lay out half of your
ladyfingers, cover them with half of the mascarpone custard. Repeat with the rest of the ladyfingers and custard
7. Dust the top of the dessert with 2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder. Cover with cling wrap and chill