These heart-shaped Poppy Seed Pastries are quite delicious and easy to make.
Yeast dough, click here for the recipe.
Poppy Seed Filling
1½ cups poppy seeds
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Prepare yeast dough. Meanwhile (while your dough is rising) prepare the poppy seed filling. Using a spice/coffee grinder, process the poppy seeds. Do this in batches, about 2 tablespoons at a time.
2. Beat 2 eggs.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup milk, ½ stick butter, ¾ cup sugar, and pinch of salt. Heat on medium heat, until sugar dissolves, butter melts, and milk becomes frothy.
4. Whisking vigorously (or using a hand held mixer), slowly add in half of the hot milk. Return egg/milk mixture back into saucepan and put back on medium heat. Stirring constantly, heat mixture until it slightly thickens (about 3-5 minutes).
5. Pour milk mixture over poppy seeds and mix to combine. Set aside to cool.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay out dough onto a well floured surface. Shape into a log. Evenly divide dough into 6 parts.
7. Roll out each piece into an approximate 12X12 inch square. Place ⅙ of the poppy seed filling onto the rolled out dough and spread it out, making sure to leave half an inch border on 3 of the 4 sides.
8. Using your thumbs and the bottom portion of your palm, gently roll the dough away from you. You will end up with a log. Trim sides. Using your fingers, gently flatten the log.
9. With a sharp knife, divide log into 6 pieces. Place your knife about ½ inch from the top of the piece and make a cut. Now, take each half and turn it outward 90 degrees. Pinch the bottom of each heart together. Place onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Repeat with rest of the dough and filling.
10. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Allow bulochki to rise for about 25 minutes.
11. Combine 1 egg, 2 tablespoons milk, and 2 tablespoons sugar. Brush the tops of each bulochka with the egg mixture. Bake for 28-35 minutes, until golden brown.