Filipino Chicken Adobo
8 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
⅓ cup soy sauce
1 (13½ ounce) can coconut milk
¾ cup apple cider vinegar
8 garlic cloves, peeled
4 bay leaes
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine chicken with soy sauce and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from soy sauce and shake off extra into bowl. (Don’t discard soy sauce). Place chicken skin side down into a 12-inch skillet and turn heat to medium-high. Cook chicken 7-10 minutes until chicken is browned.
3. Whisk coconut milk, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, and black pepper into soy sauce.
4. Transfer chicken to plate and discard fat in skillet. Return chicken back to skillet skin side down and the coconut milk mixture. Bring to a boil. Decrease heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Flip chicken and simmer for additional 15 minutes. At this point, an inserted thermometer should read 175 degrees.
5. Transfer chicken to plate and tent loosely with aluminum foil.
6. Discard bay leaves, skim off fat from surface. Return heat to medium-high and cook sauce for 5 minutes, until thickened.
7. Thinly slice scallions. Pour sauce over chicken, sprinkle with thinly sliced scallions.